Sunday, May 8, 2011

Le Dimanche

Already another Sunday!! This is our second Sunday here, and thus our second time going to church in Paris. It's so cool! The building we meet in (the Institute building), also where we have class, is a 17th century building with a central courtyard in the Marais district (also the gay district and blocks from the Jewish quarter). It's right across from the Pompidou Centre.
The inside has twisting marble staircases with iron handrails. It's really a beautiful building! We have Relief Society first, where they have headsets for people who want direct English translations. Lots of visitors come through the ward I think, so it's kind of cool! They might also have Mandarin translations, and I think they have a Mandarin Sunday school. The ward is so diverse, I absolutely love it!!! Lots of people come to Sacrament meeting, so many so that this week they made all of us BYU students sit in the overflow where there is a live video feed and an English translation. Kind of a bummer. Especially since the translation was pretty inaudible.. haha But still a cool experience:) I haven't gone to many meetings outside of Utah, it's so cool to see! It's the same church everywhere. But like I said, I Loooove the diversity. You can feel the spirit and sincerity of people's testimonies even if you can't understand everything they're saying. And I love singing the French hymns. A lot of them are the same as the English ones, just translated. It's just fun! I'm glad we have a ward so close that we can join while we're here, they're so welcoming to us! I spoke with someone last week who is friends with one of the other French professors at BYU. It's cool because since the Church is a bit smaller in France, I think lots of people know each other.
So last Sunday, we decided to go to the Louvre since museums are supposed to be free the first Sunday of every month. Unfortunately, due to Fete du Travail (labor day), it was closed! But it was still soo cool to walk around the outside of the building and the grounds. It's enormous and amazing. 

We also walked around the Tuileries gardens which are just past the Louvre, and into La Place de La Concorde with the Obelisk. I love everything here. Really, it's just so cool walking around and seeing everything! But I think if I did that every single day, my body would collapse. So that's one good thing about class starting:)


No comments:

Post a Comment